The Rev Cornell 'Corkie' Haan
What we are asking you to do
To my fellow pastors:
Marriage is at the core of
the Bible. Genesis 2:24 is the culmination of Godís
creation in Genesis 1 and 2 when a man and woman
come together in marriage. Genesis 1:27-28 notes
that God created man and woman in his image and
blessed them. He told them to be fruitful and increase
in number and rule as Godís regents on earth.
Marriage is the ultimate metaphor for Godís
relationship with us. God is our husband as we are
told in Jeremiah 31.32.
Yet I find that many churches simply do not focus on marriage
as a sermon topic. Ask yourself these questions:
- Do those who are married in the church really
know how much about Godís plan for our marriages or how we
are to love with self-sacrifice for the benefit of
- Does your church provide a robust program of 1)
marriage preparation, 2)marriage enrichment once
married, 3) marriage saving and 4) re-marriage when a
spouse dies or a marriage falls irreparably apart?
This web site is dedicated to providing clergy
with sermon resources, articles on marriage,
community marriage initiatives and policies,
and marriage training resources so that churches can
I would like to challenge you take the following steps:
- Preach a short homily on marriage at all weddings.
- Preach four sermons on marriage during the year.
- Implement a comprehensive marriage program in
- Hold a one-day marriage enrichment course
- Establish a process for saving marriages
- Helping those that are remarried when a spouse
dies or marriage fails.
- Implement a community marriage initiative/policy
in your community.
Register your commitment to follow through on this.
Click here for our form.